What We Believe
Are you seeking a better understanding of God? Maybe you want to know more about Jesus Christ. Perhaps you are looking for a church and wanting to know more about what the North Point Church community believes.
At North Point Church, our beliefs about God and how He relates to humanity is rooted in the Bible, centuries of Christian theology, and creeds that help us answer key questions about God. Our application of these truths is focused on the 21st century world and how we can carry God’s love to our community and world.
Who is God?
There are really only two paradigms with which to view the world: either existence is random and meaningless, or it is by intentional design and purposeful. If it is by design, then there must be some type of designer. We believe that designer to be God.
- We believe in one infinite, eternal, Holy God who has always existed in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- God is the creator and sustainer of all things in heaven and earth.
- God never changes. He is and always will be who He has always been.
- God is the source of all knowledge, wisdom, and power. There is nothing unknown to him or too hard for Him.
- God is the source of goodness, mercy, grace, and love.
- God is Sovereign over all the universe and in Him all life holds together.
Who are We?
This is the question of all humanity: Who are we? Much like our view of God, there are several ways of thinking about it. One is that we are strictly physical beings who exist for our short lives without purpose and then die. Another is that we are primarily spirits who just happen to have bodies. We believe we are spiritual beings as well as physical beings who are created with a purpose.
- We believe that God created humans as both physical and spiritual beings.
- God created us intentionally and with purpose.
- We believe that God created humans in His image, with the ability to reflect His attributes of mercy, grace, and love.
- God desires to reveal Himself to humans through a personal relationship with each of us. We are designed for a relationship with God.
What About Evil and Sin?
Because God created humans in His own image – as self-determinate beings – we are free to make our own choices in life. Our choices as humans invariably fall short of God’s glorious ideal for us. There is also an enemy who tempts us to not trust God but instead follow our own will.
- We believe that each of us falls short of God’s holiness and His desires for us.
- This falling short of God’s perfect ideal (called sin) is what separates us from God and His holiness. It also leads to the disorder and brokenness in our world.
- We also believe that evil exists in this world.
- Satan, who is opposed to God, is the source of evil.
Who is Jesus?
God loves each of us as His created beings. Our sin keeps us separate from a Holy God. Thankfully, God, in His mercy and grace, has provided a way for us to have eternal relationship with Him through His Son, Jesus Christ.
- We believe that Jesus has existed eternally with God as the second person of the triune (three-part) Godhead.
- Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born to the Virgin Mary, and lived a perfect life.
- Jesus made it possible for us to have an eternal relationship with God. He accomplished this through His life, death on the cross and His resurrection from the dead.
- God offers each of us an eternal relationship with Him (called salvation) through the mercy and grace offered to us in Jesus.
- God’s relationship with us is based strictly on God’s mercy and grace. It is not based on our own works. When we accept God’s gift of salvation, we are spiritually reborn into eternal relationship with Him.
- Jesus now dwells with God interceding for us.
How Do We Learn More about God and Grow in our Relationship with Him?
Once we accept God’s grace of eternal relationship with Him by accepting the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the third person of the triune (three-part) Godhead enters our newly reborn spirits. This is the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells all who have accepted God’s gracious gift of eternal life and relationship through Jesus Christ.
- The Holy Spirit flows through our newly reborn spirit and gives us the desire and ability to become increasingly like Jesus.
- We grow in our relationship with God through studying His word: the Bible. The entirety of the Bible is inspired by God, meaning that each of its 66 books were written by humans, but God provided its many authors the inspiration of what to write. As such, we consider the Bible to be trustworthy and our authoritative guide for matters of faith and conduct.
- We also grow through communicating with God, which we call prayer. Regular prayer is essential for growth in our relationship with God.
What is our Hope?
Often, our world appears hopeless. It seems like evil endlessly abounds and that there is little justice in the world. But there is hope for those who have accepted God’s gracious gift of eternal relationship.
- God is a god of justice.
- Satan is the ruler of injustice through opposition to God and tempting humans to rebel against God’s desires for them.
- We believe the power of Satan was destroyed through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. This enables us to live our lives directed by the Holy Spirit.
- When Christ-followers die, they are resurrected to be with God forever. This is the joyous hope we have in Christ Jesus.
- Jesus promised He would return to this earth. At that time, He will establish God’s kingdom of justice and righteousness.
- Those who have accepted God’s gift of salvation will be with Him eternally. Sadly, those who have chosen not to accept this gift of salvation will be separated eternally from God.
Whether you are seeking to know God or looking for a church home, we would love to get to know you at North Point Church. Please stop by and join us as we all journey together in growing in the grace of Jesus Christ.
We are beggars who have found the source of bread
leading other beggars to where they can be fed